15-Minute Restaurant-Style Salsa2013 May 24 | Written by: Zye Angiwan | Tags: Dips & Sauces
15-Minute Restaurant-Style Salsa, Tortilla chips and salsa or bowls of nachos are always a welcome presence during football games, outdoor picnics, afternoon snacks and basically anywhere and any time you don’t mind getting your hands and mouth smeared with food. The key to either of these wonderful Mexican must-haves is a great salsa. While you can buy instant salsa at the grocery, you never know how mediocre or how bad some of those mass-produced condiments can taste. Nothing beats the stuff made from scratch – plus, you can customise home made salsa according to your preferences and enjoy the all-natural, healthy choice.
Here’s a quick recipe for restaurant-style salsa that takes only 15 minutes to prepare with a handy food processor. This makes a small batch, so just double the volume of ingredients to make more. For those who like chunky salsa, a few quick pulses should do it. For smoother salsa, keep pulsing for a few more seconds to get the consistency you want. This recipe keeps well when refrigerated, as long as the salsa is stored tightly covered.
- 120g canned whole tomatoes
- 100g canned tomatoes and green chillies
- 15g onions, roughly chopped
- 1/2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno, slit lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 40g fresh cilantro
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of white sugar
- a pinch of cumin
- 1/4 fresh lime
- Pour the whole tomatoes, juice included, into the food processor.
- Add the canned tomatoes and green chillies, onions, garlic, jalapenos and cilantro in.
- Squeeze the juice from the lime in.
- Add the sugar, salt and cumin.
- Pulse 5-6 times and check consistency.
- For smoother salsa, pulse for a few seconds more, but do not puree.
- Place in a container, cover and chill for at least an hour.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!