24 Creative Advent Calendars and Filling Ideas2012 Nov 21 | Written by: Zye Angiwan | Tags: Christmas, Decoration, Gift Ideas
24 Creative Advent Calendars and Filling Ideas, It’s time to start the countdown to a very Merry Christmas! What better way to do that than with a festive and unique Advent Calendar that you made yourself?
Here are 24 fun, creative and easy ideas for DIY Advent Calendars. You can get everyone from kids to grandparents involved in making one, and when finished, the calendar can double nicely as a Christmas decoration for your home.
What do you need to make your own Advent Calendar?
Use common household items like these to create a DIY Advent Calendar:
- Matchboxes, paper cups, toilet paper tubes, small bags, tins or boxes to store stocking fillers
- Benches to hang boxes, bags and decorations on
- Clothes-pegs to fix and hang envelopes or other things on
- Scraps of fabric for decorations or to make small bags
- Wrapping paper, paper bags, colourful posters, old magazines
- Buttons, twine, ribbons
Advent Calendar Photos:
Here’s the list we’ve put together of DIY Advent Calendars – click on each link for full instructions and materials that you’ll be needing for each.
- Toilet Paper Tubes Calendar – Maya*Made
- Matchbox Christmas Tree – Sweet Paul
- Advent Refrigerator Magnets – Narrating Life
- Christmas Baby Socks – Martha Stewart
- Candy-Filled Dixie Cups – Craftberry Bush
- Origami Paper Boxes – The Remodeled Life
- Christmas Tin Containers – Thousand Square Feet
- Advent Paper Bags – A Subtle Revelry
- Christmas Fabric Cones – Pickles
- Hanging Paper Gift Bags – Moment to Moment
- Advent Vintage Frame – Fiskars
- Cardboard Reindeer Calendar – Little Scandinavian
- Advent Calendar Buckets – The Feminist Housewife
- Christmas Paper Parcels – Emmas Design Blogg
- Advent Wrapping Paper Tree – The Red Thread
- Stacked Christmas Boxes – Better Homes and Gardens
- Rudolph Paper Cups – Balancing Home
- Advent Pocket Calendar – Kimberly Petersen
- Felt Mittens Calendar – Holiday Crafts and Creations
- Advent Truffles
- Christmas Candy Tins – Makoodle
- Advent Jar – Just a Girl
- Christmas Trees Calendar – Pink Suede Shoe
- Advent Favour Boxes – The Ardent Sparrow
Ideas to fill your Advent Calendar
Need help on what to fill your Advent Calendar with? No problem, we have plenty of those! You can also check The Petit Cadeau for more interesting tips on what you can put in your Advent Calendar.
- Sweets and baked goods
- Gift vouchers, tickets for a concert, the zoo, the cinema, etc.
- Lipsticks, lip balm, small, trial-sized items like body lotion, single use facial mask packets
- Christmas tree decorations
- Christmas-themed cookie cutters
- Christmas carol lyrics
- CD with Christmas songs
- Foreign money for the next holiday (coins or notes)
- Small toys, e.g. marbles, matchbox cars, miniature stuffed toys
- A tie, socks, gloves
- Key rings, bookmarks
- For bigger items that don’t fit in a bag or box, place clues on where they’ve been hidden (e.g. behind the curtains)
More sources for DIY Advent Calendars
DIY Advent Calendars can also become thoughtful, early presents for your loved ones. If you’re really into the holiday spirit or have the time for arts and crafts, why not make more than one Advent Calendar and give them to people you care about? You’ll find easy-to-follow, step-by-step tutorials below, as well as a (Christmas) tree-full of innovative ideas for Advent Calendars!
Video tutorial for exciting Advent Calendar ideas
Take a look at this video for a better visual of fascinating Advent Calendars you can make, and let us know in the comments section below how your own DIY projects turn out!