3 Unique and Refreshing Fruit Desserts2014 Apr 09 | Written by: Sharee Narciso | Tags: Desserts, Drinks, Fruit, Ice Cream Recipes, Vegetarian
Having dessert doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re giving in to unhealthy choices. With a little creativity and out-of-the-box thinking, you can come up with the most delicious, satisfying and addictive cold treats that are perfect for all seasons. Feel free to tweak the choice of fruits and ingredients as you please – remember that experimentation is encouraged.
Here are three fruit desserts that will capture the taste of the tropics. It doesn’t matter where you are right now, or how old you are. Get ready to try them out for size and share them with the whole family!
For those who are lucky enough to live where fresh peaches are abundant, this recipe is a godsend. You can enjoy this light dessert without feeling guilty – each serving has zero cholesterol and saturated fat, and amounts to only 100 calories!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes (excluding freezing time)
- 4 medium peaches
- 125 ml water
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 3 tbsps sugar
- Mix water, lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium heat.
- Once sugar is dissolved, let it cool and then transfer to a blender.
- Add the peeled and sliced peaches.
- Cover the blender and work them until smooth, then transfer to a container.
- Freeze until firm.
Indian Mango Lassi
Lassi is a traditional dessert in India, especially after having a spicy dinner. Let’s combine the exotic tastes of Indian cuisine with the flavours of the tropics and add a mango twist. Try this simple recipe the next time you’re entertaining guests!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: —
- 100 g chopped mangoes
- 400 g yoghurt
- 600 ml water
- crushed ice
- 2 tsps caster sugar
- 1 tsp pistachio kernels, chopped
- Place mangoes, yoghurt, ice, water and sugar in the blender. Blend until smooth.
- If you have a small blender, blend the ingredients in batches.
- Pour the mixture to glasses.
- Top with chopped pistachio kernels.
Frozen Pineapple Crush
This recipe is super easy and especially enjoyable on hot days, but can be had whenever you feel like a tropical dessert. See the quick and easy recipe below and try it out yourself!
Prep Time: 10 minutes (excluding freezing time)
Cook Time: —
- 1 pineapple
- 2 oranges
- 80 g passionfruit pulp
- Peel, core and chop pineapple and oranges.
- Place in a food processor together with the passionfruit pulp.
- Process until smooth.
- Transfer to an airtight container, cover and freeze.
- Every three hours (for 10 hours), mash the fruit with a fork.
- Use a fork to scrape the surface into coarse crystals.
- Serve immediately once ready to maintain freshness.
Loved these fruit desserts? Check out these other fruity recipes:
- Yoghurt and Fruit Parfait
- Unusual But Delicious Fruit Ice Cream Flavours
- Perfect Banana Mini Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting