Aromatic Butter Chicken2013 Sep 19 | Written by: Samantha Jones | Tags: Poultry
Aromatic Butter Chicken, This delicious and aromatic Butter Chicken recipe is not one you can make on a whim, it requires some forethought and uses a lot of ingredients, but the end result is SO worth it.
Rich and flavoursome, this traditional Indian and Pakistani dish (also known as “Murgh Makhani”) has to be prepared the night before, but takes just 30 minutes to cook after preparation.
It serves 4, but can be easily expanded to accommodate larger quantities. Serve with basmati rice and naan bread.
- 125 ml. natural yoghurt
- 1 tblsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic gloves, crushed
- 1 kg chicken breast fillets, chopped
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 1 tbs. sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Indian or normal bay leaf
- 2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 425 g. can tomato puree
- 150 ml. chicken stock
- 250 ml. thickened cream
- In a large bowl, combine yoghurt, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, chilli, cumin, ginger and garlic.
- Add chicken and stir well, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat the butter and oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf and cook for 2 minutes or until the onion starts to soften.
- Reduce heat to low, then add chicken and marinade, paprika, tomato puree and stock.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and then stir in the cream, cooking for a further 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with rice and/or naan bread.