A Chocolate Macaron Recipe for Beginners!2013 Nov 12 | Written by: Samantha Jones | Tags: Chocolate, Desserts, Finger food
A Chocolate Macaron Recipe for Beginners!, What is it about macarons that makes even the most accomplished cook a little nervous? It’s definitely one of the more intricately difficult desserts to perfect, but instead of giving up and heading to your local bakery for a macaron fix, why don’t you try your hand at this beginners Chocolate Macaron recipe instead?
The most difficult aspect of this recipe is your piping technique. Before getting started, watch this video for how to properly grip and use a piping bag. Then it’s just a matter of ensuring your egg white mix is stiff enough before mixing with the dry ingredients and that after piping the mixture onto the baking tray, you allow a good 30 minutes for the mixture to rest and settle before baking.
These delicious mini-treats will be ready in a little over an hour and the recipe makes 12!
- 3 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 120 g almonds
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tblsp cocoa powder
- For chocolate filling, 100 ml thickened cream
- 100 g dark cooking chocolate
- In a glass mixing bowl, add in egg whites and a pinch of salt, then whisk with an electric beater until stiff.
- In a food processor, process the almonds, icing sugar and cocoa.
- Stir dry mixture into the egg whites in a few batches then fold until smooth.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Put the mixture into a piping bag, then pipe round 24 mounds about 3cm in diameter.
- When finished, tap the tray to remove any air bubbles and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To make the chocolate filling, place the cream in a saucepan and bring till it's almost at boil and then remove from heat and stir through the chocolate until melted.
- Place in the fridge until the mixture firms.
- Add a teaspoon of chocolate filling on the flat side of a macaron, then take a second and put it on top of the filling. .
- Allow to chill further or serve immediately.