Chinese Cuisine: Beef Stir-Fry Recipe2013 Feb 26 | Written by: Katherine Cortes | Tags: Meat, Stir Fry
Craving for an authentic-tasting Chinese dish? Try this beef stir-fry recipe. It’s sweet and spiced and perfect over steamed rice.
As with other stir-fry dishes, the beauty of this beef stir-fry is that you can subsitute or add various vegetables. Though this beef stir-fry is normally garnished with broccoli florets, cauliflower and green beans are also good options. Add thinly sliced carrots for a bit of colour or include more veggies such as red capsicums and spring onions.
Sweet Chinese Beef Stir-Fry
A healthy, great-tasting beef stir-fry recipe served with broccoli florets! The dish is sweet, spiced and ideally served over steamed rice.
- 680 g beef top sirloin, thinly sliced
- 65 g white sugar
- 60 ml rice wine vinegar
- 30 ml frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 1/2 tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp Siracha hot chili sauce
- 30 g cornstarch
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 8 broccoli florets, lightly steamed or blanched
- 500 ml oil
- Place the beef strips on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Let dry in the fridge for half an hour.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, rice wine vinegar, orange juice concentrate, marmalade, salt, soy sauce, sesame oil and Siracha sauce. Set aside.
- Coat dried beef in cornstarch and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Shake off excess cornstarch.
- In a wok, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Fry beef in small batches until crispy and golden brown. Set aside.
- Drain the oil from the wok, leaving out about 1 tbsp.
- Add orange zest, ginger and garlic to the remaining oil and cook briefly until fragrant.
- Add the sauce and bring to a boil until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef strips and heat through, stirring continuously.
- Serve over steamed jasmine rice. Garnish with broccoli florets.