Creating Palatable Chicken Caesar Salad2013 Nov 07 | Written by: Mary Ann de Mesa | Tags: Poultry, Salads
Why do people love the ever-classic Caesar salad? There are plenty of reasons for sure. The naturally palatable presentation of this vegie-based appetiser and finger food, for instance, makes it an ideal dish to serve on various occasions and events. But don’t be mistaken, as this supreme salad is so versatile and easy that you can quickly whip up a bowl anytime of the day!
The Chicken Caesar Salad recipe below is a well-loved variation that makes use of chicken and anchovies, which, as we all know, are not really part of the original Caesar salad recipe. Still you can utilise or add other equally popular ingredients like crispy bacon or salmon, or use fresh raw eggs like what the authentic Caesar salad dressing has. You can even modify this recipe for a healthier version, e.g. replace the ciabatta loaf with whole wheat bread and the mayonnaise with reduced-fat yoghurt — it’s all up to you! So good luck and happy salad making!
- 1 medium ciabatta bread loaf, cut into cubes
- olive oil
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- large romaine lettuce, leaves separated
- 50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- For the dressing: 1/2 cup light whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, crushed
- 2 anchovies, drained, smashed
- 2 tbsps fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 200C. Spread out the bread pieces or croutons on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Spray with oil.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Rub the chicken breasts with some oil and season.
- Place a non-stick frying pan over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Once the pan is hot (but not smoking), add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Turn and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Place the ingredients in a food processor and combine until the mixture is thick and smooth, then season to taste.
- Now make the salad. Tear lettuce into large pieces and place in a large serving bowl.
- Pull the chicken into bite-size strips and scatter half over the lettuce leaves, together with the croutons.
- Add most of the dressing and half of the cheese. Toss to combine.
- Scatter the remaining chicken and drizzle over the rest of the dressing.
- Top with the remaining cheese. Serve immediately.