Devilled Eyeballs2012 Oct 19 | Written by: Zye Angiwan | Tags: Halloween
A spooky Halloween recipe
It's Halloween – time to get spooky-creative with everyday party food items. Here's an easy yet clever and unique recipe that you can serve for a screamin' good party. Just put an eerie twist to classic devilled eggs and everyone of all ages is guaranteed to enjoy!
- 1 dozen eggs
- 2 tsps mustard
- 80 g mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp minced onions/shallots/chives
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pinch of paprika
- 2-3 drops blue food colouring
- 5 pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced
- red/orange decorating gel/food pen
- Place the eggs inside the pan. Fill with enough water to cover the eggs by at least 1-2 inches.
- Add a pinch of salt to the water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan, remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Drain the hot water, gently shaking the pan to crack the eggs.
- Run cold water over the eggs, then peel.
- Cut each egg in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the yolks to a mixing bowl.
- Mash the egg yolks with a fork or potato masher.
- Add all other ingredients except for the olives. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon or pipe the green mixture back into each egg white, taking care not to over fill.
- Place a slice of pimiento-stuffed olive on top of the mixture to resemble an eyeball.
- Use the decorating gel/food pen to make squiggly lines on the egg whites to look like bloodshot eyes.
- Arrange in pairs on a platter and serve. You can also decorate the platter itself in line with this “monstrous” theme.