Easy Recipe for Animal Cookies2013 Mar 20 | Written by: Zye Angiwan | Tags: Desserts, For Kids, Gift Ideas
Easy Recipe for Animal Cookies, Who doesn’t love adorable animal cookies? They’re easy to make, fun to decorate and are delightful snacks. In addition, cookie-making is an excellent opportunity for parents to bond with their kids and provides an outlet for imagination and creativity when it comes to frosting and decorating. Here’s a simple recipe for animal cookies, guaranteed to produce tasty results that will put huge smiles on your kids’ (and their friends’) faces!
- 510g all-purpose flour
- 225g sugar
- 175g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- Store-bought frosting, food dye, food pens
- Hundreds and thousands, small candy pieces
- Using electric beaters, beat the butter for 1-2 minutes on medium speed.
- Slowly add the sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat in the egg, then the vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- On low speed, add half the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat well.
- Add the other half and keep beating until well-combined and a smooth dough forms.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 175 C.
- Line 2 baking/cookie trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, around 3-5mm thick.
- If the dough is too soft, return to the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Cut out desired animal shapes using cookie cutters.
- Transfer the cut-outs to the trays, 2-3cm apart.
- Dough scraps can be gathered, kneaded and re-rolled again to make more cut-outs.
- Bake the cookies for 8-12 minutes, until the edges turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool cookies on a wire rack.
- Decorate cookies only when they have cooled completely.
- Fill a pastry bag with frosting, or use a plastic sandwich bag with a small corner cut off.
- Various food dye colours can be added to small batches of plain frosting for more colourful cookies.
- Outline the animal cookies with frosting or use food pens to draw on them.
- Dot small pieces of candy with frosting and “glue” them onto the cookies for features like eyes or ears.