Gluten-Free Black Beans and Rice2013 Jan 11 | Written by: Katherine Cortes | Tags: Gluten-Free Recipes, Vegetarian
No matter how tempting elaborate dishes are, time and difficulty of a recipe remain to be big factors for the home cook. So here’s a black beans and rice recipe that’s easy and takes less than an hour to make – ideal especially for vegetarians and those on a gluten-free diet. It’s delicious, with a spicy flavour that adults will surely love.
This gluten-free black beans and rice dish can be enjoyed as a main meal with salad or as a side dish. Looking for a nutritious snack? This recipe also fits that bill.
Black Beans and Rice Recipe
A recipe for gluten-free black beans and rice. Quick and easy to do, this dish is perfect as a weekday meal.
- 375 ml water
- 100 g medium grain rice
- 2 cans (400 g each) black or red kidney beans
- 2 green chillis, seeded and chopped
- Ground cumin, to taste
- Chilli powder, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 60 g grated cheddar cheese
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- A handful of black olives, pitted and sliced
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Add rice and stir.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place beans, undrained, in a casserole.
- Sprinkle with chillis, cumin, chilli powder and salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Top with cheese, spring onions and olives.
- Bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve the beans over cooked rice.