Gluten-Free Recipes: French Bread2013 Jan 16 | Written by: Katherine Cortes | Tags: Bread, Gluten-Free Recipes
Gluten-Free Recipes: French Bread, Sticking to a gluten-free diet is easily doable once you’ve learned how to adjust, but looking for good gluten-free recipes is another thing. Take bread, for instance. A common complaint is that it’s hard to find a decent loaf of gluten-free bread in stores, and searching for one usually entails lots of trial and error.
To save you the effort, here’s a gluten-free recipe for French bread. It has a wonderful crust, with the inside fluffy and tender.
Gluten-Free French Bread
- 280 g rice flour
- 110 g tapioca starch
- 3 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp egg substitute (optional)
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 360 ml lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 tbsp fast-rise yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 egg whites, beaten slightly
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Melted butter, for brushing (optional)
- Using a heavy-duty mixer, blend the following on low: rice flour, tapioca star, xantham gum, salt and egg substitute.
- In a small bowl, dissolve sugar in the water and then add the yeast.
- When the mixture foams slightly, add the mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Next, add butter, egg whites and vinegar.
- With the mixer on high, beat the mixture for 3 minutes.
- Spoon dough into French bread pans.
- Make diagonal cuts a few inches apart.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Cover the dough and let rise until doubled, about 20-25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool.