Hearty Chicken Casserole2014 Apr 29 | Written by: Sharee Narciso | Tags: Casseroles, Dinner, Winter Recipes
Winter is coming soon, and hearty, tummy-warming recipes are our friends. This chicken casserole in particular is a great dish to share with the family, especially when it’s cold outside. Gather round the fireplace or the dinner table, and throw in some stories as a side dish!
This chicken casserole, with celery and bacon rashers, is ready in under 2 hours - a perfect recipe when expecting company or if you're just staying in with your family!
- 1 kg chicken thighs, filleted
- 4 bacon rashers, diced
- 410 g cream of celery soup*
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 celery sticks, diced
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 50 g cheese, grated
- 60 g butter
- 75 g flour
- 190 ml water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In a plastic bag, mix flour, salt and pepper thoroughly.
- Add thigh fillets to the bag, tossing to coat with the flour.
- Place chicken in a large ovenproof casserole. Make sure there is only one layer.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a frying pan over medium-high until melted.
- Fry the bacon and onion until soft.
- Add bacon and onion to the chicken.
- Take the plastic bag from earlier and transfer the remaining flour to the frying pan. Cook and stir for a minute.
- Mix the cream of celery soup* with water. Then, add mixture to the frying pan. Let boil.
- Pour the contents of the frying pan over the chicken in the casserole.
- Add celery and carrots, stirring to mix well.
- Cover the casserole and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the cover and garnish with grated cheese.
- Bake - without the cover - for another 10 minutes to melt the cheese on top.
- Serve hot.
Cream of Celery Soup*
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Cook 1 sliced head of celery, 1 chopped onion, and 1 chopped garlic clove.
- Over low heat, let the vegetables become soft (but not brown). Cooking will take around 15 minutes.
- Chop a bunch of parsley roughly and add this to the pan.
- Add 1 L of vegetable stock.
- Simmer the soup for 15 minutes.
- Pour the soup into the food processor. Add 100 ml of cream. Work at high speed.
- Once smooth and creamy, the soup is ready.
- Use a round or rectangular casserole dish that has enough room for an even layer of the fillets
- You can use a canned cream of celery soup available in most stores if you can't make your own