Gelato, Frozen Yoghurt and Sorbet, Oh My!2012 Nov 30 | Written by: Samantha Jones | Tags: Desserts, For Kids, Gift Ideas, Ice Cream Recipes
Gelato, Frozen Yoghurt and Sorbet, Oh My!,
Gelato ice cream, frozen yoghurt or sorbet – whatever your poison may be, making your own homemade varieties of these three frozen desserts is a treat and a lot easier to make than you might think.
Distinguished by their content, gelato, frozen yoghurt and sorbet are all similarly delicious and refreshing.
The break down…
Gelato is the Italian word for ‘ice cream’ and has a slightly lighter consistency than regular ice cream. It is made with milk, cream and various sugars and contains little to no air. It can be combined with a wide range of fruits, chocolate, biscuits and confectionery.
Frozen yoghurt is also a dairy based dessert, but is generally lower in fat thanks to its yoghurt content. It has a slightly more tart flavouring than ice cream and combines well with fruit flavours.
Sorbet is arguably the most refreshing of the three and often the healthiest variety. It is a delicious non-dairy iced based dessert that is most commonly combined with fresh fruits.
Try these three delicious recipes at home to experience what all three dessert-types have to offer:
Rich, creamy and decadent, this Banana Gelato recipe is sure to be a hit with both kids and adults.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3-1/4 cups full cream milk
- 1 vanilla bean split in half lengthwise
- 3 ripe bananas peeled
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Whisk together sugar and egg yolks in a saucepan.
- Place mixture over low heat and whisk in milk then add vanilla bean.
- Cook stirring until mixture is smooth and lightly thickened.
- When mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon remove from heat and remove bean.
- Strain any lumps that formed during cooking then add vanilla extract and stir.
- Allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor or blender, puree bananas with lime juice until smooth.
- Gradually add in vanilla custard mixture then blend until incorporated.
- Place in ice cream maker and freeze as instructed.
Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt
A healthier option to the standard cream-based ice cream recipe, this Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt is a delightful treat packed with fresh strawberries.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 3 cups full-fat plain yoghurt
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 packed cup quartered fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Combine the yoghurt, sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions or until almost set.
- While the frozen yoghurt is being churned in the machine, blend the berries and the icing sugar in a food processor until puréed, strain berry mixture through a fine mesh strainer.
- Once the frozen yoghurt is almost set, add the berry puree to the yoghurt and allow to spin, making a swirl coloured frozen yoghurt.
- Remove frozen yoghurt from machine to a storage container and freeze frozen yoghurt covered until serving
Mango and Lime Sorbet
Perfect for summer, this refreshing sorbet recipe is extremely easy to make and a great non-dairy frozen option.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 4 mangoes, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup sugar syrup
- 3 limes, juiced (about 3 tablespoons of juice)
- Place mango in a food processor and puree.
- Pour in sugar syrup and lime juice, and puree until smooth.
- Place in an ice cream maker. Freeze as machine directs.