Satisfying Cottage Pie2013 Jul 15 | Written by: Samantha Jones | Tags: Meat, Winter Recipes
Satisfying Cottage Pie, This delicious Cottage Pie recipe is a great dish that will warm you up and leave you satisfied!
Combining lean minced beef, vegetables, potato and a crisp cheese top, the recipe is very easy to make and is a convenient meal to whip up when you’re having to serve a larger group of people. The ingredient quantities can be easily expanded to accommodate extra without compromising the quality of the end result.
Quick, easy and ideal for winter!
Cottage Pie Recipe
- 500 g lean minced beef
- 5 large potatoes, mashed
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 cup of peas
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tblsp plain flour
- 2 tblsp tomato sauce
- 2 tblsp Worstershire sauce
- 1 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of grated cheese
- A pinch of dried, mixed herbs.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180C
- Peel, quarter and boil the potatoes until soft.
- Once soft, drain and mash them and place aside.
- Brown the mince in a large frying pan.
- Drain the mince and add back to the pan.
- Add in all the vegetables (except potato) and fry until they are softened.
- Add in the flour for an extra minute and then add water.
- When the mixture thickens, add in sauces, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and allow to cook for an extra 3 - 5 minutes so flavours are able to fully develop.
- Remove from heat and spread mixture into a casserole dish.
- Top with mashed potato and place in oven to bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add a layer of cheese on top of the potato and return to bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve straight from the oven.