Scrumptious Baked Chicken Parmigiana2013 Oct 23 | Written by: Mary Ann de Mesa | Tags: Dinner, Poultry
There are numerous classic dishes that make wonderful, family-friendly evening meals, and this baked Chicken Parmigiana recipe is a great example. A classic pub favourite, this scrumptious dish features tender pieces of crumbed chicken topped with savoury tomato sauce and melted cheese, which makes it ideal not only for adults but even for young kids.
This chicken parmigiana recipe makes use of mozzarella cheese, but you can also use cheddar or Parmesan depending on your preference. Furthermore, if you want to put a little extra zing to this winning dish, you can incorporate spicy ingredients like chilli flakes into the sauce, or simply add more herbs and spices. Enjoy!
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 500 g skinless chicken breast fillets, halved horizontally
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed
- 1 medium onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups tomato pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 100 g mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a shallow bowl.
- Coat chicken in the flour seasoned with salt and pepper; shake off excess.
- Dip the chicken in the egg and milk mixture, then coat in breadcrumbs. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat some oil in a heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken, in 2 batches, for 3 minutes each side or until browned and cooked through, adding more oil as needed.
- Once browned, drain and transfer the chicken to a large baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the remaining oil over medium heat.
- Cook garlic and onion, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add tomato sauce; bring mixture to the boil.
- Stir in chopped basil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Once done, pour the tomato sauce over the chicken in the baking dish. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh basil or parsley leaves, additional cheese or anything as desired.
- Serve warm with salad, chips, crusty bread or pasta of your choice.