Summer Food Ideas: Prawn, Mango and Avocado Salad2014 Jan 29 | Written by: Sharee Narciso | Tags: Barbecues, Fruit, Low Carb Recipes, Salads, Seafood, Summer Recipes
Summer Food Ideas: Prawn, Mango and Avocado Salad, Whether you’re thinking of adding a light touch to your summer BBQ or whipping up a quick dinner for the family, you can never go wrong with a simple – but justifiably sumptuous – prawn salad. This prawn, mango and avocado salad recipe has seen a multitude of variations, from the choice of prawns (some even use other seafood, like crab meat or crayfish) to the line-up of fruits and herbs.
For this particular version, we’re going all bright and summery with prawns (tiger or king prawns will be perfect), mangoes and avocados as the main components of the salad.
Prawn, Mango and Avocado Salad
This recipe is the epitome of summer lightness and zest, perfect for afternoons at home, BBQ parties and even formal dinners with colleagues. Featuring both smooth and textured food items, get ready to feast on the best Australian ingredients in one salad.
- 500g tiger or king prawns, cooked
- 2 mangoes, cut into cubes or chunks
- 2 avocadoes, cut into cubes or chunks
- 400g sweet potatoes, baked (Optional)
- 250g baby rocket leaves (Optional)
- 150 snow peas, steamed (Optional)
- 5 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- lime juice, as desired
- 1 large iceberg lettuce, sliced
- 1 red chili, finely chopped and deseeded
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Alternative: 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar)
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Peel and remove the veins of the cooked prawns.
- Whisk together the lime juice, red chili, coriander leaves and extra virgin olive oil (or rice wine vinegar) in a salad bowl.
- Add two-thirds of the de-veined prawns to the mixture.
- Add the avocadoes and mangoes. Add the baby rockets, too, if using.
- Toss the ingredients together to mix evenly.
- Season with sea salt and pepper as desired. Add more lime juice to taste.
- Garnish with the remainder of the prawns. Add snow peas and baked sweet potatoes on top, if using.