Summer in a cup: Basil ice cream2012 Nov 13 | Written by: Katherine Cortes | Tags: Ice Cream Recipes
Summer in a cup: Basil ice cream, If you’ve never had basil ice cream before, then this might seem intriguing to you. Ice cream has other herb-based flavours like mint, but basil seems unconventional.
Like mint, basil is refreshing but has a sweeter flavour that is perfect for an ice cream. Fully processed ice cream has a wonderful pistachio green colour, the right amount of sweetness, and a soothing effect on one’s first bite.
It is also convenient to make since basil is easily accessible: it is a seasonal herb grown in backyards or purchased from the local market. If you have a flourishing basil plant in your garden and are wondering how to use up all those leaves in recipes, lucky you! Aside from the usual pasta, salad, and other dishes, you can also use the leaves for homemade basil ice cream.
Why don’t you try to make one in your ice cream maker and see what exactly people are raving about regarding this basil ice cream? Look at the recipe below:
Basil ice cream recipe
- 480 ml whole milk
- 2 1/4 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 100 g sugar, divided in half
- 4 large egg yolks
- 120 ml chilled heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- In a heavy saucepan, bring basil, 50 g sugar, and a pinch of salt to a boil. Remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and process for 1 minute or until basil is ground as fine as possible.
- In a medium bowl, beat yolks and the remaining 50 g sugar with an electric mixer for 1 minute or until thick and pale.
- Pour milk in a stream and beat until combined.
- Pour mixture into the saucepan and cook over moderate heat.
- Stir constantly using a wooden spoon until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Remove from heat and strain in a fine-mesh sieve into a metal bowl.
- Allow to cool by pouring into a chilled bowl. Another option is to set the bowl in a larger bowl of ice water.
- Stir for about 10-15 minutes or until cold.
- Stir in heavy cream.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instruction.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours.