Tender, Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks2014 Jun 04 | Written by: Mary Ann de Mesa | Tags: Meat, Slow Cooker, Winter Recipes
Tender, Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks, Tender , Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks always make for a wonderful filling dinner! Allowing the meat the time it needs to be slow cooked, you can make these well-loved lamb shanks even more succulent and appetising. This tummy-filling dish combines the rich flavour of lamb shanks, tomatoes, mushrooms, vegetables and herbs — just a perfect meal to serve for the entire family!
So whether it’s the seared and tenderised meat, the rich, tasty tomato sauce or the healthy veggies, this tender, slow cooked lamb shanks recipe has something to offer to satisfy you and your loved ones at the dinner table!
Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks
- 2 tbsps. plain flour
- salt and pepper, to season
- 4 French-trimmed lamb shanks
- 2 tbsps. olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 can (400g) tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1-2 cups beef stock
- fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- In a shallow dish combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Roll lamb shanks in the flour mixture to coat, shake off excess.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the lamb shanks and cook, in batches, for 4-5 minutes or until browned all over then transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in the pan and then cook garlic and onion, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
- Add in red wine, scraping the bottom of the pan for any brown bits and bring to a boil until liquid reduces by half.
- Place the lamb shanks in a slow cooker and then add the carrot, celery, tomatoes, mushrooms, rosemary and thyme.
- Pour the wine mixture in the slow cooker and add enough beef stock to cover the lamb shanks and vegetables.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the lamb shanks become very tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potato, if desired.