Vegetable Samosa2013 Dec 20 | Written by: Samantha Jones | Tags: Finger food, Vegetarian
Great to use for nibbles at a party or as a starter to a delicious Indian feast, this Vegetable Samosa recipe will impress you with its flavoursome savoury finish and crisp pastry shell.
The recipe serves 4 people and takes a little over an hour to make, however can easily be expanded to accommodate your requirements. You can get creative with your fillings too, so if the ingredients below aren’t entirely to your fancy don’t be afraid to experiment.
Best served with tzatziki dip, this yummy vegetable samosa recipe is one we think you’ll really love!
- Oil, to fry
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Pinch chilli powder
- 250 g potato, cooked and diced
- 1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 (25cm x 25cm) puff pastry ready rolled sheets, thawed
- Tzatziki dip, to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add in cumin, ground coriander, turmeric and chilli and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in potatoes, peas, coriander and lemon juice, and stir together before setting aside to cool.
- Use a round cutter (approximately 12cm) to cut out 4 circles from each sheet of pastry.
- Working with one circle at a time, roll to make a cone shape.
- Place 2 tbsp of the mixture into the centre and fold the top of the pastry over and pinch to close.
- Repeat until remaining pastry and filling has been used.
- Pour oil into a saucepan so that it fills one-third of the way up the side.
- Heat the oil over a medium-to-high heat until it reaches 180C.
- In batches, cook 2 samosas at a time for 2 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Drain on paper towel and serve immediately with tzatziki dip.